Monday, October 14, 2013

The Unborn's Plea


http://yourpregnancychart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/fetus1.jpg


I lay in a sack, wet cold and alone
My eyes are heavy from the pressure of the sea I lay in
My ears pick up sounds, whispers and words not my own
Sounds of laughter, sometimes tears that get me thinking
Get me imagining, dreaming and wanting more than this hole
This hole that has been home for two weeks and some days
But soon, in nine months I shall be discovered and discover
The world outside this hole that seems to please and amaze

I've been here, three weeks now and counting
But the person above me seems troubled, alone and sad
I hear sobs, sniffs sometimes wailing
Trepidation embraces me, I know this feeling I've never had
I feel love, warmth from a hand placed on my wall
I also feel sadness and indecision, but mostly regret in all
As she takes a deep breath that feels like a wind on my skin
Taking the only road she believes is right though a sin

I knew the sure eventuality of her decision
I knew my dreams of seeing the world outside this hole was a never
As I felt the cold steel pierce into my heart with precision
My pleas and cries were the words of a mute silenced forever
Mom I will never utter, Dad I will never see
Laughter I shall never make, a person I shall never be
For an idea I have become, flushed away and spat upon
My identity for eternity will be that of the unborn.




8 comments:

  1. Wow Bee... Deep, really deep...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tai....it came from a deep place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very revealing and worrying. Why do we "sadly stop" what you "Happily started? Abstinence is simply the key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only they could speak to us, "don't do it mum, I love you".

    Brilliant piece

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really is the truth

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely poem that speaks the truth. But...
    I have only one question: what solution is there for a rape victim? Keep the child (a living reminder) or kill the child (still a reminder).

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one ever wants to be raped let alone carry for nine months a physical stigma of the act. Nevertheless, it's a life that the victim is carrying..a life that is unaware of the incident leading to its existence. Truly, it's difficult for a pregnant rape victim to keep the baby but it isn't an impossibility. I will rather she had the baby and gave it up for adoption. However, if she can't bear the thought of it, no one really has a say.

    ReplyDelete