Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Silhouettes of the Sky

http://www.technosamrat.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Colorful-Sky-Desktop-Background.jpg


For me, Poetry has always been one of the most powerful tools of communication and expression. The use and play of words still remain intriguing to me, an art that only the witty, imaginative and creative can master and employ. We see poems such as On the Pulse of the morning by the legendary Maya Angelou which was read at the inauguration ceremony of President Bill Clinton challenge and move nations. Leopold Sedar Senghor, John Pepper Clark, David Diop,William Shakespeare, Wole Soyinka...these great men motivated, inspired and encouraged their societies with words that became powerful, mind blowing and unforgettable poetry. Here is a poem by a friend of mine titled Silhouettes of the Sky.... do enjoy!



Its been raining a lot lately
But I’ve only heard the sound faintly
Sometimes I wish it could rain louder
Maybe then I’ll wake from my slumber


At first it drizzled,and I felt happiness
It wasn’t much, but it rinsed my emptiness
My heart drummed at the sound of the storm
And then I knew there were torrents to come
When it started raining,I knew it was ecstasy
Clearly, this wasn’t a fantasy

And even if it were, I didn’t want to lose this vanity
Not unless it threatened my sanity
Then it started pouring
And I knew I was in for a reckoning
Finally, love was beckoning

This is one weather I never miss
Even though it brings such peace
Torrents of emotions pouring
Causing my heart to be soaring
And it all started with an innocent text
From one heart to the next
From me to you


Uwem Ekanem



2 comments:

  1. goodness.... very impressive. i like thease with which the lines progress. fluid. natural.

    ReplyDelete