Monday, November 5, 2012

Whispers of the Street




Hands stretched out,diseased and broken
Eyes hungry, filled with words unspoken
'Five Naira ma, ten Naira sir' they say
The streets their stage, their mendicity the play

It's a one man audience as I look through my window
'I need your help sir' one pleads 'I am a widow'
But will my fifty Naira get her off the road?
Or do I say 'I have none, silver or gold'...

Tears sneak around the corners of my eyes
Can't we all hear their pleas, their cries?
We are deaf to the song of the mendicant street
As the rich get richer while the poor kiss their feet

I take a walk back in my mind to the widow
Whose simple request I couldn't bring myself to follow
Can their stories be changed by you or me?
We are the revolution, we are the key...





7 comments:

  1. nice poem. portraying the humanity of the author. for how long will we ignore the downtrodden amongst us. i feel banke's anguish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, you are on the right path. Make a change when you get there. And do the little you can when you have the resources. The truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your poem banke, it is precise n concise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding us of what we were, what we are and what we might be. Well written Banke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reminding us of what we were, what we are and what we might be. Well written Banke.

    ReplyDelete